The mass murder this morning in an Orlando bar that is a gun free zone. The Florida law is clear. The irony is that Florida has the highest number of concealed carry permits in the nation, but bars concealed carry in many public places.
The news will now carry stories that 1, say that an armed patron could have stopped the shooting and that is true, and 2.the problem is guns, but that suggests that all guns can be eliminated, and that is absurd. The only people that would abide by such a law are not a threat.
The logical conclusion is that we pray that an armed person is present to stop shooters as has happened in several situations. What is apparent is that shooters understand this risk and target gun free zones.
Here’s a list of such places in Florida that are by law gun free.
Bars are one of a long list of places that Florida establishes as gun free zones. From Florida Statutes leg.state.fl.us:
(12)(a) A license issued under this section does not authorize any person to openly carry a handgun or carry a concealed weapon or firearm into:
1. Any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05;
2. Any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station;
3. Any detention facility, prison, or jail;
4. Any courthouse;
5. Any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom;
6. Any polling place;
7. Any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district;
8. Any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof;
9. Any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms;
10. Any elementary or secondary school facility or administration building;
11. Any career center;
12. Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;
13. Any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile;
14. The inside of the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or
15. Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.
(b) A person licensed under this section shall not be prohibited from carrying or storing a firearm in a vehicle for lawful purposes.
Read more: http://www.ammoland.com/2016/06/florida-pulse-gay-bar-mass-shooting-was-in-a-gun-free-zone/#ixzz4BNkMehHe
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook